Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

Family Ceremonies


The Balinese like to invite us to their ceremonies. They are proud, we are curious. I am honored each time. This time a young woman I meet at a hotel while walking one morning hears of my interest in sacred water and invites me to her family’s home. 

Kadek
3 sisters at home
Kadek picks me up on her motorbike and in we go to ceremonies in progress – a cleansing of dark deities and demons for Kajon Kliwon that happens every two weeks. We begin in the family temple, then go from room to room, giving blessings and asking for protection, asking that the offerings be accepted.


From here, Kadek’s sister Made (Ma- DAY) invites me to a ceremony at the home of another Made, my hotel manager’s wife. I patiently wait two hours while they set up. It is a ceremony for their family temple that happens every 6 months.





Made and I have a good conversation about her life, her family, her in-laws feelings toward her – complex like everywhere, with caste/class differences. At least their religion is shared. When a second priest arrives, the 3 hour ceremony begins with prayers and sacred water blessings.

                                    

 A young black chick is a traditional offering. It is sacrificed with blessings while a bird sings freely in the tree above. I do not eat chicken for quite awhile after.


The ceremony closes by knocking over the demon towers triumphantly. The black and white fabric represents the balance of good and evil – both part of life. The main difference is that good can create and destroy, but evil can only destroy.




 I am moved once again by the intricacy and dedication in every ceremony here. 

Priest's assistant offers sacred water at entrance to house.

The mother of the extended household


1 comment:

  1. Lovely again. I'm looking at them in the opposite order of your writing. The images are an absolute knock-out, Mara. Let there be Light!

    ReplyDelete

Let us know your thoughts about water.